Reach your goals
The THRIVE program is about unlocking your unlimited potential, in college and beyond. Join other students with similar experiences and a commitment to their dreams, supported by staff who can guide you and student mentors who have been down this path before. You will find resources and knowledge that will help you realize everything that college has to offer.
A place for independent youth
THRIVE is a mutually supportive community that unites independent youth with similar backgrounds at IUPUI. Together, we encourage and share in our learning and growth.
THRIVE is led each year by capable peer leaders who have been a part of THRIVE in their first year and are uniquely prepared to mentor and to guide new members of the community.
The First-Year Experience
By participating in the THRIVE program, you have everything you need to be successful. Here's a snapshot of the things you'll get to experience during your first year of college.
THRIVE starts with a unique Bridge week experience just for students in our program. During this time, we get to know each other, get a head start on the semester, and begin the college journey together.
THRIVE students take a class together throughout the first year, where you will learn more about yourself and your own unique journey, through college and beyond.
Each new student is paired with an experienced student who has participated in the program and has been successful in college. Start your journey with someone who has been down the road ahead of you and can help you achieve your goals by providing resources and encouragement.
Receive individual guidance and support from an experienced and certified success coach, who can help you navigate the new landscape of college and your new life as a college student.
Engagement beyond the classroom
THRIVE is a learning community that extends beyond the classroom, where students take the lead in hands-on learning guided by their own inquiries. Expand your college experience with the support of your THRIVE peers.
Residence-based learning community*
Have priority access to campus housing, live near your THRIVE peers in the first year of college, and experience additional events and activities.
*You are not required to live on campus to participate in the THRIVE program.
THRIVE is a program and community at IUPUI for independent students. We are here to help independent youth coming to IUPUI thrive as first-year college students. If you plan to come to IUPUI, we want to connect with you, as we are a resource for all independent youth making the transition here. If you are an independent student starting your journey at IUPUI, you could benefit from being part of this uplifting and empowering experience. Apply to THRIVE to get connected to our community of support.
THRIVE is for independent first-year students under the age of 25. You are eligible if you have experienced any of the following:
- Students who have been in foster care—students who are currently in foster care or have been in foster care.
- Students who experience housing insecurity or homelessness—students who face housing challenges can have very different experiences, but still qualify. This could be living with friends or relatives who are not their parent or guardian (or “couch-surfing”); living in an emergency shelter; living in transitional housing programs or group homes; living in a car, park, campground, abandoned building, bus station, or other public place. Any student who does not have fixed, adequate housing qualifies.
- Students who are emancipated or unaccompanied—students who are living on their own independently, having been legally emancipated or not, unaccompanied by an adult, parent, or guardian.
- Students who have had legal guardianship appointed by a court—students are considered independent when a court appoints a guardian who is not their parent.
- Students who are independently caring for dependents or are providing the primary support for their family—students who may or may not have a household with adults present, but they are acting as head of that household and/or providing the primary support for their family, including but not limited to having their own children or raising younger family members.
How to apply
You can complete the THRIVE application here.
See the links below for a complete list of everything you need to do to be part of the THRIVE program. You can always reach out to us if you have a question or need help.
815 W. Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
This program is made possible by the Nina Mason Pulliam Charitable Trust and IUPUI.
*The amount of financial aid offered to each student will vary and is determined by financial need and other information provided on your FASFA.